International Education Strategy for Victoria 2013-2018
The International Education Strategy for Victoria 2013-2018 sets out a clear vision and four action areas to support growth of one of Victoria's most valuable export sectors. Victoria is not only a leading destination for international students, but Victorian educational institutions and providers are world leaders in off-shore delivery and international educational partnerships.
The benefits to Victoria of its international education sector are immense. Not only do international students contribute to Victoria's economy and jobs; they add to Victoria's social and cultural vibrancy and strengthen our international relationships.
The International Education Strategy includes 19 initiatives in four strategic action areas - market development, quality education, student experience and marketing and branding. Together these initiatives aim to build on Victoria's globally competitive position as a quality provider of international education in the Asia Pacific region and to support the sector to take advantage of expanding opportunities in the global market.
Key initiatives include:
- Trialling a new public transport ticket scheme for international students from 2015 for three years in partnership with education providers
- Extending on-the-ground support for business development activities overseas including placing additional Education Services Managers in western China, Indonesia and Latin America
- Expanding work experience opportunities for international students including a Study Melbourne Internship Program
- Expanding opportunities for Victorian school children to build their Asian language and cultural capabilities through a new China Immersion Program for Year 9 students
- Expanding the Hamer Scholarships program to include China, Indonesia, Korea and Japan, and providing funding for doctoral scholarships to attract the best and brightest international research students
- Establishing awards to recognise excellence amongst international students and Victorian education providers
- Expanding the support and services provided to international students in Victoria through the Study Melbourne Student Centre.
The Strategy is part of the Government's plan to position Victoria as a globally competitive service-based economy with strong international engagement, especially with Asia.
International Education Strategy for Victoria 2013-2018 (PDF 3266.71 KB)
Print or save a PDF copy of the International Education Strategy for Victoria 2013-2018
International Education Strategy for Victoria 2013-2018 (DOC 209 KB)
View an Accessible Word version of the International Education Strategy for Victoria 2013-2018